The Recording Industry Association of New Zealand have announced the three finalists for Best Folk Album 2013.
The Tui for the award will be presented at the 40th annual Auckland Folk Festival in Kumeu (West Auckland) following the ‘Tui Finalists Concert’ on the evening of 27 January, 2013.
The finalists are –
BRENDA LIDDIARD – Box of Memories
GREAT NORTH – Halves
FRENCH FOR RABBITS – Claimed By Sea
RIANZ managing director Chris Caddick says he is highly impressed with this year’s line-up – “All three finalists have recorded great albums that really do the folk genre proud. Once again the finalists have set the judges an unenviable task in picking a winner. Sincere congratulations to each of them.”
Online ticket sales for the 2013 festival are open now. For more information visit the Auckland Folk Festival website: www.aucklandfolkfestival.co.nz
The Tui for Best Folk Album 2013 is for recordings released in the 12 months to September 2012. The Folk category was introduced to the Awards in 1984.
Recent previous winners of the Tui for Best Folk Album
• 2007 – Phil Garland for his 18th album ‘Southern Odyssey’
• 2008 – Dunedin trio Delgirl for the debut album ‘Two, Maybe Three, Days Ride’
• 2009 – Chris Prowse for ‘Trouble On The Waterfront”
• 2010 – Auckland-based bluegrass quartet Wires & Wood for ‘Over The Moon’
• 2011 – Amiria Grenell for ‘Three Feathers’
Pictured : French For Rabbits