After collation of votes from a voting panel made up of a broad section of music media/industry specialists alongside all current members of Independent Music New Zealand (IMNZ), the finalists for the 2013 TAITE MUSIC PRIZE have been announced.
They are :
@Peace – @Peace (Frequency Media Group)
Aaradhna – Treble & Reverb (Frequency Media Group)
Collapsing Cities – Strangers Again (Pastel Pistol)
Home Brew – Home Brew (Young Gifted & Broke / Frequency Media Group)
Lawrence Arabia – The Sparrow (Honorary Bedouin)
OPOSSOM – Electric Hawaii (CRS Records)
SJD – Elastic Wasteland (Round Trip Mars)
A selected panel of final judges will convene for a second round of judging to determine the winner who will receive a $10,000 cash prize to be spent however they like.
The judges will make their decision based entirely on the artistic merit of the album(s). Sales, genres, artist recognition or popularity are not contributing factors in their decision-making process.
The selected music panel for 2013 is made up of the following people:
- Gary Steel (writer, editor, journalist at large)
- Grant Smithies (Sunday Star Times)
- Jan Hellriegel (IMNZ member / Native Tongue Music Publishing)
- Lydia Jenkin (NZ Herald Entertainment)
- Damian Vaughan (NZ Licensing Manager, APRA)
- Leonie Hayden (Editor, RipItUp)
- Murray Cammick (freelance DJ / music doyen)
- Nick Atkinson (The Music Mix / Radio NZ)
- Ren Kirk (Editor, theaudience.co.nz)
- Sandra Hopping (IMNZ member/ Ode Records)
- 11th Man – John Taite (BBC America)
The overall award winner will be announced on the 17th of April at an invitation-only event at Galatos Live in Auckland.